The inception meeting for the project “Safeguarding Mesoamerican crop wild relatives”, funded by the Darwin Initiative was held in Mexico City on October 13 and 14, 2016.
Meeting objective: To discuss project planning, design, logistics, implementation, reporting and legal and ethical compliance.
Topics discussed included:
- What is the Darwin Initiative?
- Selecting CWR taxa for extinction risk evaluation, and for setting CWR conservation priorities
- Nagoya protocol
- Information sharing mechanisms
- Capacity building opportunities
- Communication and outreach products
- Red List workshop
- Systematic conservation planning
- Important areas for conservation workshop
- Agreements and commitments